To rug or not to rug under your dining table, that's a question many homeowners grapple with. As the heart of any dining space, the area around and beneath the dining table becomes the subject of much contemplation when redecorating or setting up a new home. Is this stylish gesture applauded by interior designers, or is it merely a fleeting trend?
When we envision the perfect dining area — be it a dedicated room or a cozy corner within an open-plan living space — the thought of a rug can introduce elements of warmth, sophistication, and a touch of individual personality, depending on the area rug chosen.
So, what's the verdict among the top minds in interior design? Let's dive into what they have to say.
Dining Table Rugs: The Expert's Take
The consensus among interior design mavens? Adding a rug beneath a dining table definitely enhances the ambiance of the space. While it’s not mandatory, it’s a great stylistic choice that comes with many benefits. If you’re considering adding a rug, make sure to balance your aesthetic vision with practical considerations to ensure that the space remains both functional and fashionable.
Benefits of a Dining Table Rug
Introducing a rug in the dining area can:
- Define the Space: Especially beneficial in open-plan living spaces, a rug can demarcate the dining zone from other areas.
- Introduce Texture and Color: A carefully chosen rug can complement or contrast with your dining furniture, adding layers of texture and a splash of color to your room.
- Provide Comfort: Offering cushioning for feet, a rug can make the dining experience more comfortable, especially during prolonged gatherings or meals.
Considerations When Opting for a Rug
If you're planning on introducing a rug into your dining area, consider:
- Size and Scale: Ensure the rug extends beyond the chairs when they’re pulled out. This helps in maintaining consistency in the dining space and avoids the chair legs getting caught on the rug edges. This usually means going no smaller than an 8'x10' for a table with six chairs, or a 9'x12' when seating for eight.
- Material Matters: Easy-to-clean materials can be a boon, especially considering occasional spills that might occur. For extra protection and ease of mind, have your rug treated with Fiber Protector by Mafi to help repel stains and make your area rug easier to clean.
- Pattern and Style: While a rug can be a statement piece, ensure it aligns with the overall aesthetic of your space. Bellevue designer rugs, for instance, offer a range of styles catering to different tastes and dining room themes.
In conclusion, while the decision to include a rug under your dining table is subjective and largely depends on personal preferences, it's a choice that, when made right, can beautifully enhance the look and feel of your dining space. As always, balancing aesthetics with functionality is key. If in doubt, consult an expert or take a look at some Bellevue custom rugs at any of our showrooms in Tacoma, Bellevue, or Olympia to gain inspiration and insights.